Monday, April 29, 2019

Film Nook now showing Cheryl Maeder's Frequency

We are thrilled to be showing The film short, Frequency 
by artist Cheryl Maeder. 




Frequency

Over a period of five months, I researched and filmed reflections on a lake’s surface.  Every day that I filmed the lake’s surface, it took on a different pattern from sunny to overcast to rain, from calm, to turbulent.  On the editing of the film, I worked with Artist Mary Tidy-Coyle, an innovative conceptual artist.  There is always a transformative synergy in our collaborations.

Frequency communicates through non-verbal language the vastness of the infinite universe. 

It takes us on a psychological journey- questioning whether our universe is just one or many co-existing parallels?

The film is streaming during open library hours which can be found here.
or call 561-799-8530



Artist bios: Cheryl Maeder

I am a Fine Art Photographer and Video Installation Artist.
The core of my work has always been about “connection”; the innate connection to the self, each other and to all other life forms on this planet. We are not separate from nature. We are nature, the environment and the infinite universe.

I was born in Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA, and in my early 20s moved to Zurich, Switzerland, where I studied photography at the Zurich University of the Arts.  After 8 years in Switzerland, I returned to United States and opened my photography studio in San Francisco, where I photographed international advertising and fashion campaigns. I transitioned from photographing fashion models to photographing real women. I wanted to celebrate the beauty of women in all shapes and sizes. My photography work became the inspiration for the Dove Campaign on Real Women, Real Beauty which transformed the way women are viewed in the global media.  In 2005, I relocated my studio to the Miami area and deeply immersed myself into fine art photography and filmmaking.

While the foundation of my work is photography, investigations into video and large-scale installations have expanded my visual world.  By immersing myself into the world of new technologies and shifting between the mediums, new opportunities for rewarding and creative collaborations have occurred for large-scale installations.  Through continuous experimentation, I utilize my camera as a precision instrument to replace the traditional tools of an artist’s studio, such as brushes and paint.  I focus my camera on the otherworldliness between reality and the abstract.

·         Permanent Collection Frost Museum, Miami & Coral Springs Museum of Art
·         The Louvre Museum, Paris, Group Exhibition
·         Museum of Contemporary Art, Rome, Italy, Miami New Media Film Festival, Public Art Platform, Art & Technology, Curated Thesis on Water, Climate Change & Communities Traveling Group Exhibition (Bogota, Caracas, Valencia, Miami, Santo Domingo, San Nicolas & Rome)
·         Montefiore Medical Center, Radiation & Oncology Dept., Permanent Collection
·         Solo Exhibition Miami International Airport Sept. 2016-2017
·         PBS, Filmmaker Project:  featured Filmmaker, funded by
National Endowment for the Arts
·         Submerge, Public Art Video Installation, City of West Palm Beach, Canvas Outdoor Museum
·         Auctioned at Sothebys New York

·         Exhibited at major art fairs worldwide including Art Miami, Scope NY, Art Toronto, Art London and Art Shanghai


Artist bios:  Mary Tidy-Coyle

Mary Tidy-Coyle is a nationally showing/published artist and curator. She is originally from Philadelphia, PA, where she received her BFA from the Tyler School of Art at Temple University, and her MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Currently Tidy-Coyle lives and works as a professor teaching Drawing, Painting & Art History, while continuing to produce and show her work.

In her artwork she is a creator of fiction- a storyteller, giving her audience just enough to compose their own narratives. As artist, filmmaker and actor she adorns many disguises in her video work.  By inserting herself into an invented world her performance as ‘actor’  allows for the re-invention of self, commenting on  issues of identity and gender.  In her constructed collages and paintings she juxtaposes people, places and things, relying on imagination & memory to create an unknown reality; leaving her audience to muse.

No comments: